WordPress is a superb blogging tool, generally regarded as one of the best. However, some learning is required before using it effectively. Since most people are deeply allergic to reading Help files, I will put down some advice in the form of a post.
- Anyone can read the libsa blog by going to libsa.wordpress.com, and browsing through the website.
- Anyone can add a comment to a posting, by simply filling in their name and email address on the comment form at the end of the post.
- Anyone can subscribe to the Libsa blog, in order to receive an email notice of all new postings.
- Anyone can register as a WordPress user by going to
https://en.wordpress.com/signup/ and filling in their details. If you don’t want a new blog (you probably don’t), just click on the “Sign me up as a new user” line.
- Once you are registered as a WordPress user, you can be added to the Libsa blog contributor list by the administrator (send an email requesting this to firstname.lastname@example.org). You can now login to the libsa blog at https://libsa.wordpress.com/wp-login.php , and create new postings to your hearts desire. These postings are subject to review and approval by the administrator.
- If you are famous or good-looking or sexy, the Libsa administrator may send you an invitation to join the blog as a contributor. In that case, simply follow the instructions in the invitation email.
- After you have posted a few articles to the blog without problems, you will be upgraded to an author, who can post without being subject to review.
While it is definitely more challenging to add content to a blog than to simply send an email to a distribution list, there are many benefits to the blog format:
- The posting and related comments are STRUCTURED. You read the article, hopefully well laid out, with interesting links and pictures and videos embedded.
- You can instantly rate the article, for the benefit of subsequent readers.
- You can read all the comments on the article in sequence, below the article, clearly attributed.
- You can instantly add your own comment on the article, or reply to another comment, in a simple, structured fashion.
- You can subscribe to future comments on just this article, because it interests you, without receiving dozens of emails on unrelated articles.
- With the appropriate permissions, you can review the stats on how many people have visited the website, read the articles, clicked the links, etc.
- You can setup and participate in polls and review the results.
- You can view articles by category, by date, by tag.
- You can search the entire website.
In my opinion, the extra effort is worth the return.